Saturday, April 11, 2009

Welcome to 4am googling

There is an urgency with which I am beginning to prepare myself for my course in South Africa. Despite the loud Weezer song blasting from the apartment below, my impetus for staying up is entirely driven by my sudden need to find out the Zulu word for 'bathroom'. The randomness of these urges is starting to get a bit ridiculous.

In any case, welcome to what I hope will be my blog for my trip to South Africa in May-June! I'll be doing my best to communicate throughout both the field research course in Durban as well as during my three weeks of post-course travel down the SA coast. My travel buddy (is there a better term? companion feels too suggestive), Courtney, and I will also be hanging out in the Benelux area of Europe for a week after, running purely on adrenaline and credit.

I'm a veritable travel virgin at this point, if you don't count my multiple cross-Canada adventures (Thanks Dad!) and a few weeks in the Caribbean and Mexico sipping fancy drinks and buying $14 bracelets. This status is almost a sin in the program I'm in - International Development - and I suppose rightly so. This course looks like it's going to be a fantastic way for me to open up to new ideas, put me in touch with my strengths and limitations, and help me better connect with the people I want to eventually serve. But seriously, I'm sure you're reading this mostly for the sarcasm, bad puns, and potential shout-outs whilst away, so I'll do my best to limit the discussion on 'personal development.'

Many of you will know that South Africa is considered a middle-to-high income nation, but the inequality that exists within the country is unbelievable. I won't comment tonight/this morning on South Africa's complex history, because I know my lack of sleep would not do it justice. Reminder for future topic: justice.

Take care, all. Here's to getting packed and booked and paid enough between now and May 1st so I can afford to eat the delicious Indian food of Durban!

By the way: itholethe :)

1 comment:

  1. Weee! Welcome to Blogger and the hazards of blogging, aka those eureka ideas that hit you like a 2x4 in deathly hours of the night. I look forward to reading about your adventures in RSA. xoxo

    ReplyDelete